10 Sept 2013

GREEN DAY - ¡Cuatro!




Green Day’s recent trilogy of albums have received something of a mixed reception with some critics slamming the band for what they see as a lack of development and a treading of old musical ground. My guess is that fans of Green Day are quite happy to hear the trademark riffs and chord changes, the same old energy and angst.
In the same way I anticipate that fans of the band will love the new dvd ¡Cuatro! which was released on September 9th in a set with the cd album ¡Tre! that was first released earlier this year. Green Day completists and hardcore fans will love seeing the band in the recording studio and / or goofing around in hotel rooms. But I’m less convinced that it’ll win any new fans, or to that matter any film awards. It’s a fairly standard film that cuts from performance video to private moment and back again, with no particular new insight to offer into the band’s aims or motivations, and no real educative value. It’s a straight-up entertainment piece, the highlights of which are the extended musical scenes where the band excel in ‘live’ performance mode.
I have always liked Green Day but would not count myself a huge fan. I happily watched the 1hr 15 minute dvd and enjoyed it for the most part but it won’t stay with me for long and I’m not sure I’d put it in the dvd player or pc very often. For me Green Day are a band best enjoyed live so here’s to the next tour or festival appearance. Let that be ¡Cinco!

Russell Poad

No comments:

Post a Comment