23 Oct 2013

GOLDHEART ASSEMBLY - Cluny, Newcastle - 22nd October 2013



I wasn't too familiar with the music of Goldheart Assembly before I decided to attend this gig. I knew the local support bands and liked them so decided to go along in the hope that I'd like the headliner and in the expectation I'd enjoy the openers. 

The Shooting Of... started the show. Paul Jeans is a really talented chap. Excellent writer of quirky keyboard-based songs who also plays drums, guitar and kazoo! His between song banter is always good and though his vocals seemed slightly hampered by an ear condition he was close to his usual excellent self. 

Cattle & Cane are a band I've long followed though never seen live. Perhaps my expectations were too high but I'm sad to report that they did not wow me. The songs are good and the lead vocalist excellent but the close harmonies I was hoping to hear didn't impress, lacking impact somehow. I should say that I was probably in the minority in this view; the crowd around me certainly didn't seem disappointed, rather very satisfied. 

Goldheart Assembly began their set with a superb cover of Tom Waits' 'Clap Hands' and I was instantly hooked. The London 5-piece displayed swagger, personality and craft throughout a thrilling and engaging set of folk-rock songs that brought to mind Midlake, Dry The River, Band of Horses. Vocal duties were shared between James Dale and John Herbert. Dale's voice in particular was impressive; tender and fragile (think Jason Lytle of Grandaddy) at times but strong when it suited. Kyle Hall's guitar work was excellent but no one member outshone the band as a whole. Unfamiliar tracks that stuck in my mind long after the gig included 'So Long, St. Christopher' from the band's debut album 'Wolves & Thieves' and the brilliantly titled 'Stephanie and the Ferris Wheel' from new album 'Long Distance Song Effects'. Both cds are now in my collection. Goldheart Assembly have a new fan. 

Words and picture (phone, sorry): Russell Poad

No comments:

Post a Comment