30 Oct 2013

*NEW MONTHLY FEATURE* Laura McBeth's 'Life Through Music'






Life through Lists Music

My First...

I'm not an authority on music, I'm leading with that. I'm not even an authority on lists. But I do like them (click here for proof) and I do like music (click here for even more proof). So, if I set your expectations there, this should work out.

As this is my first list for NE:MM, and never one to ignore the writers life-raft better known as a 'theme', this is my list of music-based firsts...


1. The First Song I Heard

‘Caravan of Love’ ~ Housemartins

I’m exercising a bit of artistic license with ‘first heard’; this came out at the tail end of 1986, at which time, I was two years old. Undoubtedly, I’d heard other songs before then, but this is the first one I remember hearing, and the one that my family mercilessly bring up in the presence of any man I’ve ever introduced them to.

I still quite like this song, but none of the other stuff by the Housemartins. I am marginally comforted by band member Norman Cook who eventually, released from his cocoon became Fat Boy Slim, who was pretty influential in my music tastes as I grew older, but this is soured by other band members forming The Beautiful South; a group that would certainly be top of my “cannot, will not, listen to” list.



2. The First Band I Loved

The Strokes

Before The Strokes, there was Nirvana, The Prodigy, No Doubt, Stereophonics, Ocean Colour Scene, Oasis – loads of bands, that I thought I loved. But it wasn’t a true, enduring love.

The Strokes were the first band that I adored, completely unencumbered by friend’s opinions or peer pressure… peer pressure is what makes you listen to ‘Good Riddance’ by Greenday on repeat every day, peer pressure forces you pretend that you actually care about the Blur/Oasis rivalry, peer pressure makes you deny your deep seated love of UK Garage. Peer pressure is no good for no-one.

Is This It? by The Strokes is without question one of the most unstoppably fucking brilliant albums of our generation. It’s nonchalant and laced with apathy whilst at the same time capturing moments of fervent spontaneity and excitement.

This album was right place, right time, right sound, right band.
And Julian Casblancas is probably the coolest man on the planet.


3. The First Single I Bought

‘Bump n Grind’ ~ R Kelly

I was ten years old (too young for R Kelly?)
It was a cassette tape. It was £1.99.
I’ve got nothing else.


4. The First Band I Saw Live

Ocean Colour Scene

I saw Ocean Colour Scene in height of the Britpop hullaballoo following their “critically acclaimed” album Moseley Shoals (incidentally, featuring on the front over, Jephson Gardens in Leamington Spa – my former hometown and home of Nizlopi…); I was about twelve I think, and to be honest was less fussed about seeing the band and more about impressing an older boy who was obviously, a Lambretta sporting Mod-a-like disciple of the British indie band movement that occupied much of the mid-90s.

The gig, was overwhelming and brilliant and slightly terrifying, being essentially, a child.

NB: Around the same time, I accidentally walked past Steps, performing at the Coventry city centre Christmas light switch on. This is an illegal submission based on the definition of ‘band’ – a group of musicians and vocalists.


5. The First Band That Changed My Mind

Bloc Party

Silent Alarm is another one of those albums, alongside the likes of Is This It?, Nirvana Unplugged in New York and Pink Friday by Nicki Minaj (no? Just me then…) that just smacks you in the face and changes your opinion and playlists for ever more.

My major music influences were handed down to me from my dad; The Jam, The Smiths, The Kinks. Or, put simply: GUITARS. Men and guitars.

Then; Oasis, The Strokes, Nirvana, Stereophonics. Or, put simply: more guitars. I knew in which camp I resided, and it certainly was not the electronic or syncopated or techno or house “camps”. Eurgh.

And then this. A band that seemed to bridge the two genres of indie and dance (“dancepunk” people in the know call it) and undoubtedly paved the way for the likes of Late of the Pier, MGMT, Foals and Klaxons; to name just a few. For me anyway, they were a gateway to a whole world of music I’d never have considered before.

Bloc Party are intense and frantic and rousing and thoughtful and melancholy. And they play guitars sometimes.


Words: Laura McBeth

No comments:

Post a Comment