17 Feb 2014

MY SAD CAPTAINS - Best Of Times









It's 00:16 and I should be sleeping or at least doing something worthwhile. But I've just put a record on and feel compelled to write about it. Actually I'm 5 tracks in as I begin typing so my early conclusion that along with Post War Glamour Girls, Money and Paul Thomas Saunders, My Sad Captains will be my new current favourite band may not last the distance; let's see. 

At the halfway point upcoming third album "Best of Times" seems to perfectly encapsulate all of my stupid romanticism and sombre reflection in sound.  In truth I don't often hear lyrics. it's the music that takes me so I can't exactly tell you what these songs are about, but I can tell you exactly how they make me feel and that's relaxed, engaged and at peace. 
The album opens with 'Familiar Ghosts', a whisper of a song with gentle caressing feedback over a steady beat. It's warm and comforting, melodic and satisfying. It brings to mind The Antlers or Broken Bells maybe. Track two is instrumental. Part of me wants 'Keep On Keeping On' to develop beyond its 3:42 but actually it repeats a simple and beautiful electronic melody and never outstays its welcome.  'Hardly There' at over 6 minutes long could land the band in trouble with trades descriptions but in some ways the title is apt as this is a song that delicately dances around your head with a tripping beat and soft vocal and not even a mid-song synth crescendo of Spiritualised proportions quite disturbs the happy musical slumber of this listener. 

Track 4 changes the mood a little, beginning as it does with a gently picked acoustic guitar. Vocals heavy with lazy reverb then enter making 'All In Your Mind' a woozy little gem.  

OK so the writing has now caught up with the music and at first I worry that 'Extra Curricular' might be the turning point, and not in a good way. It begins with a faster beat and for some reason it reminds me of 80's band A Flock Of Seagulls. However, it chugs along pleasantly and then declares it's beauty with an unexpected and lovely dose of brass to see it out; similar to The National's 'Fake Empire' if you like (and I do).  'All Times Into One' has a psychedelic instrumental opening and struggles really to impose itself with the hushed vocal style of Ed Wallis frustrating a little for the first time. Towards the end the sonics take over and wash out the vocal altogether. Hmm, not sold on that one. 

The last three tracks begin with 7 minute long 'In Time'. By now I'm hoping for a bit more variety in vocal tone or musical tempo but it's not to be. It's not that it's a boring or bad song but in the context of the album it's just another gentle romantic wistful musical dream. Actually I really like it when I later listen to it again as a stand alone song aside from the rest of the record. Maybe it would have been better to place this earlier in the album's running order. 'Wide Open' is not about the North Tyneside village. It is however nice to listen to whilst driving through said village, I'd imagine. Thankfully the vocal is in a higher pitch and the song acts as a melodic and pleasant wake up before the album's closer and lead single 'Goodbye'. If you've heard it then it's a good representation of the album as a whole, relaxed, gentle, tuneful and soft. It sounds like Wallis is looking for affection. He and his cohorts have mine. 

For fans of Of Montreal or Grandaddy maybe (that's all of you right?). Maybe the second half of the album didn't quite live up to early impressions but nevertheless a very enjoyable late night listen. 01:02 and now to bed. Or maybe I'll listen to some Money. 

Words: Russell Poad

No comments:

Post a Comment