24 Mar 2014

METRONOMY at O2 Academy, Newcastle - 20th March 2014





I always make a point of catching the support band. At the very least it helps to build anticipation for the main act and sometimes you can discover a rare gem. Support for this gig was electro-pop band Virginia Wing. Sadly, they fall into neither category. In fact, a new category should be created for worst ever support act. I don't say such things lightly; I can't play or sing so who am I to criticise? However, it irks me that this prime support slot could have been filled by a band with greater imagination, ability and conviction - I can think of many local bands who'd have been far better suited to the event and who would have benefitted greatly from the exposure. Virginia Wing had a great drummer. The rest of the band looked uninterested. The bassist must have played a maximum of 3 notes during the 6 or 7 song set. The vocalist was so flat and out of tune as to be embarrassing. Sorry, they were dreadful. 

Metronomy had a task to wake me from my Virginia Wing malaise. Thankfully the crowd had been sparse until the headliners arrived on stage and so others weren't similarly afflicted. From the outset there was a hardcore of bouncing youth front and centre, helping to create a genuine party atmosphere. Like party organisers, complete with Butlins-esque matching jackets and trousers, Metronomy ignited the majority with a set full of upbeat and cheery songs. 

The band played expertly and all of the hits were rolled out as well as a healthy dose of new album 'Love Letters.' Maybe it was me but I was still left a little cold by it all. The band are fairly static during performance (bassist Gbenga Adelekan aside) and tunes that weave a crafty delight on record can sound a little flimsy and twee live. I found myself comparing the gig to one I'd seen a week earlier when Chvrches had blown me away with a much fuller sound than I'b been expecting. This compared poorly, but again I'm aware that the implied criticism is perhaps a little unfair; you go to a Metronomy gig to see and hear Metronomy not Chvrches. Those who managed to get into the spirit of the gig seemed to enjoy it very much indeed. 

Words: Russell Poad
Phot: Daniel Robson

No comments:

Post a Comment