30 Mar 2014

PAUL THOMAS SAUNDERS - Beautiful Desolation






I've listened to this album at least ten times before putting proverbial pen to paper. I wanted to give it every chance to impress itself on me because I have a great deal of time for the artist, who I saw in concert at Northumbria University back in October 2013 when he (and his band) outshone a stellar bill. Also, I absolutely LOVE the song 'Let The Carousel Display You & I' which somehow fails to make the debut album; indeed it's probably my favourite song of last year. 

So, what's my beef with Beautiful Desolation? It starts really well with the gorgeous 'Kawai Celeste' on which Saunders' voice floats above a soaring landscape of guitar and synth. The lyrics are hard to decipher due to the vocal treatment but it's not a song to study. rather one to lose yourself to. This makes it rather an odd choice for opening track then, you might think; usually these sort of songs are reserved for the climactic ending right? Yes, but that's the issue I have with this album - all of the songs could be the final track to another album - they all transport the listener to a higher place where mood matters over all else. But that simply doesn't work for a whole album ... not for me at least. 

Individually there are a some great songs here - 'Good Women' sounds like a top-notch Rhye song - perfect for a slow snog at the 80's disco, whilst 'In High Heels Burn It Down' would probably have pushed the aforementioned LTCDY&I for my record of the year had it been released in 2013 and as a standalone track. That's the real shame of this album for me, some fantastic songs are made to sound ordinary because of the company they keep; there's too little light and shade, way too much production and way way too much euphoria. It's a bit like having a strong roast coffee and spoiling it with 6 sugars. 

Even when the wall of noise abates somewhat, as on 'Santa Meurte's Lightning and Flare' the production is so sickly sweet that you'd be hard pushed to differentiate it from any of the other songs on offer here. 

I really hate not loving this record. I may ration myself to a track per week for the next 10 weeks and then re-appraise but for now I have to conclude that it just contains too much of a good thing. I hope the band visit Newcastle again soon so I can apologise in person and witness another great live rendition of these songs. 

Words: Russell Poad

No comments:

Post a Comment