21 Mar 2014

RADKEY at Cluny, Newcastle - 1st March 2014





I don’t think I can start a gig in this part of the world without commenting on the depressing state of Mother Nature. The wind and the rain give credence to that simple fact. I’ve been dragged away from my cosy fireside to review a performance I’m almost (unfairly) doing a massive disservice to before I’ve even arrived at the venue. Objectivity is needed and that is what you’ll find here tonight.

Support comes from Turbogeist – who I’ve heard of – and Lyger (who I’ve not). The former have a great track named ‘Black Hole’ which gets me into a mood for the band ahead while the latter produce a set which is impressive and yet instantly forgettable, though the tracks ‘Stroke’ and ‘Power Struggle’ are worth checking out.

When I first heard the name Radkey it was in relation to an obscure covering of a Faith No More track. Taking this as somewhat of a sign that the group had done their homework I was impressed at their ability to source such a song as opposed to simply something from the ‘Greatest Hits.’ 

What I didn’t know was that their unique brand of Punky Metal would bring this brotherly trio from Missouri to a cold, wet and dark Newcastle night in Ouseburn. Three teenage brothers – Dee, Isaiah and Solomon – are causing somewhat of a sensation, following the White Stripes and Hanson before them. Their energy and enthuse can only be described as 80s Hardcore, a feeling of positivism and happiness in a sea of Punk, which can be heard on tracks like ‘Pretty Things’ and ‘Red Letter.’

Dee, the vocalist and guitarist, is learning to read and write Japanese, something he tells the audience he hopes can be incorporated into future music. Bassist Isaiah has the distinct look of a young Phil Lynott about him and despite not possessing the Irish accent to accompany that could be certainly more than matching in talents. On drums Solomon proudly sports the kind of arms you’d expect to find on Dave Krusen or Cozy Powell and brings a beat to the cymbals which complement the exciting flavour and energy of their craft.

Acting like they could awaken or even reorganise the most disinterested band of individuals, Radkey have a sense of unity about their music, addressing social and political issues, with the song ‘Cat and Mouse’ almost sounding reminiscent of similar work by the Divine Comedy – if not slightly heavier. It’s also got a very Sex Pistols vibe to it, but not because of the sound, rather because of the effect it has on people. This venue is far too small to hold a band of this nature and the lucky assembled know it.

Having spent the previous night complaining to a friend that there was simply no good music out there to find anymore, I’ll know in future to keep my mouth shut! These three young men will be the future of music and I’m humbled to have gotten the chance to catch them this time around.

Words: Wayne Madden




No comments:

Post a Comment